Monday, December 19, 2016

To Blog or Not to Blog?

I've struggled with consistently blogging. This is less about me not having things to say and more to do with realizing that it's hard to write authoritatively when I feel less and less sure each day. Even regarding what that I do professionally -- teach in a charter school -- I feel like I have far more questions than answers. 

When reading something things I wrote when I first started teaching, it seemed like then I was far more confident in what solutions were. Perhaps expertise is a paradox -- the more one has, the less sure one becomes. 

The authors of most blogs sound quite confident. I'm pretty sure this is either 1) a pose or 2) foolishness. Check that -- could be both as those two aren't necessarily in conflict with each other.

Anyway, I (re)start with that caveat so I can use this blog going forward as a way to think through topics. 

This is what I've been thinking about:

* The tension between individual bad actors in a society versus the larger number of folks who are susceptible to a culture's negative influence

* The importance of cultural norms

* The cost/benefit of jailing lawbreakers

* Popular ideas of leadership versus leadership in action

* The tension of having a plan versus getting sufficient buy-in to execute the plan

* A habit in our political discourse that leads to some people being valued more than others by institutions committed to serving all equally

* The persistence of belief in the face of evidence refuting that belief

I will have more questions than answers. 

No comments: