Thursday, August 23, 2018

Reading Twitter: In the end, the justifications won't matter





I'm a realist when it comes to self-interested human behavior. On some level, I understand the mechanisms that keep the overwhelming majority of congressional Republicans from exercising the barest levels of oversight. However, the piece I keep coming back to is this: history is going to take a harsh view of those who ignored the criminal behavior of this president. No matter the motive -- fear of losing one's job, the desire to stock the federal judiciary with right-wing jurists -- I believe the epitaph for these politicians will be  " __________ turned a blind eye to criminality." In the end, the justifications won't matter.



Pretty much. 



Pretty much.



A popular myth is that once Brett Kavanaugh is confirmed (a nomination I oppose), the Supreme Court will choose the "death by a thousand cuts" method of defanging Roe, but technically keeping it as precedent. 

I don't see it happening that way. My hunch is that Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and a justice to be named later pull Roberts along in overturning the precedent. 

I also would also bet good money that regulating abortion won't return to the state level. GOP congressmen don't seem to give much credence to federalism when it gets in the way of getting what they want. 



The ongoing theft of 18-22-year-olds' high-risk labor in order to support a multi-billion dollar sports entertainment industry is not our greatest national scandal, but it's not nothing, either. 


No comments: